Queen Elizabeth

by lstraton ~ April 20th, 2010. Filed under: Chapter 13: Reformation, Religious Wars, and National Conflicts.

Having gone through high school, I’m sure most of us know the basic facts about Queen Elizabeth I (If you don’t they are in the book, starting on page 372). So let’s skip those. These are some cool tidbits about Queen Elizabeth I.

• Queen Elizabeth loved to ride horses, much to the horror of her councilors who thought she would injure herself. Even in her 60’s she had newer, faster horses brought in from Ireland because England didn’t have any fast enough
  • She loved to hawk and hunt. According to a French Ambassador, she killed six does with her cross bow.
  • She gambled frequently
  • As Queen Elizabeth was very fashionable (and she wanted to cover up her smallpox scars from when she had the disease in 1562), she would paint her face with white lead and egg white, put rouge on her lips, and paint her cheeks with red dye and egg white. Unfortunately, as we know now, lead poisons the body and was extremely bad for her health.
  • As a child, she was so neglected by her father that she wore clothes that were too small for her.
  • She was afraid of mice
  • Queen Elizabeth was very particular about hygiene and so she took baths “frequently”- meaning every few weeks- which was very frequent for the time period.
  • Her ghost is said to haunt the Windsor Castle!

Here are some quotes by Queen Elizabeth that I found interesting.

“I have already joined myself in marriage to a husband, namely the kingdom of England.”
(Elizabeth to Parliament)

“There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles.”
(Elizabeth’s response to the Catholic/Protestant divide)

“My Lords, do whatever you wish. As for me, I shall do no otherwise than pleases me.”
(Elizabeth to Parliament on the succession issue)

“There is no marvel in a woman learning to speak, but there would be in teaching her to hold her tongue.”
(Elizabeth to the French Ambassador after he had praised her linguistic skills)

“I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king.”
(Tilbury speech, 1588)

This information comes from: http//www.elizabethi.org/

~Hannah (Libby) Straton