Religious Maps of Europe

by lstraton ~ January 26th, 2010. Filed under: Chapter 13: Reformation, Religious Wars, and National Conflicts.

I found some cool maps that show the impact of the reformation.

MiddleAgesChurchMap1

This is a map of pre-reformation Europe.

map14_1

This is a map of 1520’s Europe.

Europe_religion_map_en

Finally, this is a map of modern day Europe.

As a side note, I thought it was interesting that France starts out as all Catholic then has some Calvinist parts then goes back to being all Catholic.

~Hannah (Libby) Straton

7 Responses to Religious Maps of Europe

1. Ronnie

Thank you very much for the maps you provided,I have found them most useful in a story I am writing and am fascinated by the different religion’s geographical boundaries.

2. matthew

your mom is gay please reply to me via facebook

3. hosea

hi my amigos how are yall tonightim ti

4. face

pooping wile face planing

5. Jon

I find the maps useful as well, thanks for putting them up. As for why France turned Protestant (specifically Calvinists who are French are called “Huguenots”) and then went back to all Catholic, this was for two reasons, the first being the St. Bartholomew’s Day Massacre where Catholic soldiers and Catholic PRIESTS (it’s upsetting that this is rarely taught anymore) butchered thousands of French Protestants. It was quite reminiscent of the Albigensian Crusade (where tens of thousands of Christian French Cathars were massacred by the Pope’s armies) Nearly all of the French Protestant nobility was murdered and thus unable to offer protection to their subjects or launch a rebellion should the government become intolerant.

And that’s precisely what happened for a few decades. Then a Huguenot managed to become King Henry IV and issued the Edict of Nantes, allowing toleration for about 80 years, but Louis XIV (“Sun God King”) revoked it. Up to 400,000 Huguenots forced to attend Catholic mass, and those who refused were either executed or imprisoned.

Because of this (and also earlier during the St. Bartholomew massacre) a mass migration of Huguenots occurred, roughly 300,000 fled abroad to Prussia (Frederick the Great welcomed them to settle in his lands), England, Switzerland, or to America. It was one of the largest “humanitarian” crises in world history, especially in terms of the percentage of the population (world population is a hundred times larger now).

George Washington for example was the grandson of a French Huguenot. Theodore Roosevelt, General Patton, Paul Revere, John Jay (President of the Continental Congress and first Supreme Court Justice) and Alexander Hamilton are other famous descendants of Huguenots fleeing the murderous french catholics. The Huguenots were arguably one of the largest influences on the USA, and arguably the reason America rebelled against England (distrust of government and a dislike of the English being natural to French Huguenots).

6. Krista

Spot on with this write-up, I actually feel this site
    needs far more attention. I’ll probably be back again
    to see more, thanks for the info!

7. cheats

The current mobile operators mobile games platform аlso
    can not satisfy thee majority оf mobile phone users tо easily understand аոd facilitate tɦe neds
    oof mobile game downloads, tɦe market іs аlso а lack of mοгe platform choices, otheг thɑn thhe platform operators оften bеcauѕe off policy аnd management ѕuch constraints ɦave not been healthy development.
    Internet Һas been offeriong online games ranging fгom
    flash tօ Java onеs and mɑny more. With
    email messaging helping people ɑround the world stay iin touch cheaply,
    ԛuickly ɑnd constantly thе Internet pгovides а սseful service.